Saying Goodbye
I knew that it has been a fantastic leaving “period” when I squeezed into my jeans this morning. “Period” because my leaving parties, drinks, dinners and meetings have stretched on for three weeks. It started with a wonderfully happy family leaving party at my parents’ house. Everyone was there, even my brother Justin, his wife Alex and his handsome nephew Xavier, who had come all the way from Australia. A week later, Margot and I had our leaving party with our friends (although my parents cheated and were at both). Equally fun, but a lot more drunken, the evening involved me walking into a lamp-post and being put into an industrial bin. In between these two great parties, there has been many excellent restaurants, drinks and meals. Even a 30km walk. It’s just been great.
I’m now sat here, an hour before I leave for the airport and say goodbye to the UK. I’m excited. I know that if I work hard, I’ve got a real chance to learn, build new skills and maybe help make a bit of a difference to the UK and Ethiopia. It’s going to be a great experience for Margot and me, no question. We both can’t wait to get to know the Country, make some friends and travel everywhere. I just hope that I can really seize the opportunity in front of me.
I’d add that I’m so glad that Margot is coming with me. Sounds cheesy, but she is really the best. I don’t want to think what it would be like without her.
But I’m also sad. If I’ve learnt anything in the last three weeks (between the food and beer), is that I am damm lucky to have such great family and friends. There has been moments over the last three weeks when I stopped in my tracks, and said to myself, ‘Ben, you’ve lucked out with your excellent friends and family.‘ The next three years is going to be great and tough. But I know that whatever happens, thanks to my friends and family, the UK will always be my home.
Hello my dear friend,
ReplyDeleteI will read the entire story this afternoon in the train... Thanks to write this blog for us... Hope to see you soon, I just let Margot join you first and I will come... Amuses toi bien et prépare les meilleurs ballades pour mon arrivée... bises, Gauthier.