Sunday, 20 June 2010

Arrival

16 hours of travel, and not a drop of sleep. What an idiot I am. The result is that I’ve been on the roller coaster of emotions today - flying high and diving low. I’ve been excited, confused, relieved, happy, and now I’m scared. I’m sitting in the restaurant of my hotel, the only person here, feeling very lonely and just hoping that I made the right decision. There isn’t butterflies in my stomach, rather a flock of birds. I’ve been here for not only 24 hours, and I’m already missing home. There is a big part of me that would love to be back in Brixton right now.

Anyway, initial impressions of Addis: Wet (lots of heavy rain today); green; great coffee shops; relaxed; good tarmac; friendly; hugh amount of construction work. Whenever I have spoken Amharic, Ethiopians have giggled (politely) at me. But the few that I have spoken to - the waiters in the restaurant - have been charming and friendly.

It‘s going to be a long but great three years.

2 comments:

  1. Great Ben. Keep posting. The world doesn't get much news about Ethiopia and it's a break from England's dreary football performance and all the stuff about cuts and economic gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,

    Not read the later posts yet, but a big change is always the same. I remember the first night in the cell that was my room in Aix when my stepdad had left and before I'd met any other Anglais. I had exactly the same thoughts.

    I remember my 25th birthday, sat on my own in a restaurant in Leeds, having moved up here only five days before, having the same thoughts.

    Enjoy the flock of birds and the feeling of uncertainty and time dragging as you find your way. It's all a big adventure. Soon enough you'll be a local, part of the community and suddenly those three years won't seem long enough.

    Alex.

    ReplyDelete